Home Remedies For Constipation in Children : Constipation is a much more common problem in children. Constipation occurs due to infrequent passage of stool or passage of hard stool. Some children hold stool due to difficulty in passage of stool as it causes pain near anus.
Parents must take part actively to relieve the constipation problem of their child as the child afraids to pass stool. They must follow some remedies which parents should follow for their child.
Home Remedies For Constipation in Children
- Drink plenty of water : Dehydration is responsible for constipation in children. So you should encourage your child to drink more water or you can also provide him/her fresh fruit juice. Liquid makes stool soft so children do not feel difficulty passing stool.
- Dietary Changes : Diet rich in fiber is very much essential for relieving constipation. You must provide your child a fiber rich diet like green leafy vegetables, fruits like banana, orange which helps to make stool softer. You must avoid bakery products like bread, fast food, processed food, these foods make stool hard so it becomes stuck in the intestines.
- Physical activity : Exercise improves blood circulation in the bowel which ultimately improves bowel movements. At present, children are mostly involved in playing indoor games on the mobile phones. You must take away mobile phones or tablets from your child and take them outside for exercise or physical games. Regularity is a must in physical activity.
- Probiotics : Probiotics play an important role in relieving constipation. Probiotic improves the immune system, improves digestion and helps in bowel inflammatory conditions. Curd is a natural probiotic which you can provide to your child in their diet.
- Toilet Training : Parents must train their child for the toilet at proper time daily. Toilet training is very much an essential part of treatment of constipation in which there must be an active role of parents. Parents should encourage their child for potty timing. They should be seated for sufficient time to empty their bowels. This makes bowel movements regular and regularity in the toilet training reduces the problem of constipation.
- Motivate Child : Children are afraid to pass poo as it is painful to them. So parents should motivate them for toilet training and if they follow proper guidance from the parents then parents can reward them with a game weekly with a choice of child’s mind. Rewards will motivate them to do things and parent work becomes easy.
Constipation is a common problem but if parents follow the above home remedies regularly for their child, their child will definitely get relief from the problem of constipation.
If you find that there is difficulty in passing stool after doing home remedies as well or if you see blood in stool, you should contact your doctor for further treatment.