Home Remedies for Arthritis and Joint Pain : Arthritis is the inflammation of the joints where two bones come together. Arthritis causes swelling and tenderness around the joint which worsens with age. Osteoarthritis is very much common in adults in which the bone ends of the joint breaks down which causes pain and swelling around the joint.
In osteoarthritis, due to friction of the bones, cartilage of the joint becomes damaged. Here we are going to see some home remedies which will give relief from arthritis and joint pain.
Home Remedies for Arthritis and Joint Pain
- Ginger : Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties which helps in osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis. Ginger can be consumed in raw format or power form. It is easily available in the market or home. It can be brewed in tea or to flavor cold drinks. Ginger paste can directly apply to inflamed areas of the body, its local action reduces inflammation around joints.
- Epsom Salt : Epsom salt contains magnesium which is helpful to maintain body pH levels. Arthritis is caused due to high acidity levels of the body so This property of Epsom salt helps to maintain pH level of the body which ultimately controls arthritis symptoms. Mix equal amount of Epsom salt and lemon juice to half cup of water, swallow one teaspoon of this mixture daily in the morning and at night. You can also put two cups of Epsom salt in the warm water and keep your joint in that water or soak it with that warm water solution which helps to reduce pain associated with arthritis.
- Turmeric : Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties. It contains curcumin that possesses anti-inflammatory properties. It is useful against rheumatoid arthritis. You can take 1 gram of turmeric three times a day. You can also drink fresh turmeric juice or a glass of milk mixed with a small amount of turmeric before going to bed.
- Apple Cider Vinegar : Apple Cider Vinegar contains potassium, magnesium, calcium and phosphorus which helps to keep bones healthy. These minerals are also useful in relieving joint pain sensation caused by arthritis and removing toxic elements from joint and connective tissue. You can mix apple cider vinegar with honey and take the solution early in the morning.
- Cinnamon : Cinnamon can be used against joint arthritis pain due to its antiinflammatory properties and antioxidant properties. Mix half teaspoon of cinnamon powder and one teaspoon of honey in a cup of warm water and drink it early in the morning empty stomach. You can also make a paste of cinnamon and honey and apply it over the inflamed joint to relieve joint pain.
- Regular Exercise : Regular exercise helps to maintain mobility and flexibility of the joint. Weight bearing exercise such as running and walking are damaging to the joints. Instead of it you can try water aerobics and swimming to flex your joints without much more stress.
- Weight Loss : You can make drastic changes by controlling your body weight. Excess body weight put much more pressure on the joint like knee, hip, feet and joint symptoms increases. Reducing the stress on joints by controlling weight improves mobility of the joint and reduces pain and prevents future damage to the joint.
- Fatty Acids : Omega 3 fatty acids are helpful in relieving inflammation and soothes joints. Cold water fish such as tuna and salmon are the best dietary sources of omega 3 fatty acids. Your body may need more omega 3 fatty acids than you get from eating fish. So you must consult a doctor for an addition in omega 3 fatty acids. You should cook canola oil over corn oil. Canola oil contains omega 3 fatty acids while corn oil contains omega 6 fatty acids which make inflammation worse.
- Local Massage : Massage joint with mustard oil is considered as useful in arthritis pain. The Mustard oil works as natural ointment and stimulates blood flow. Heat mustard oil until it gets warm and rub it gently over the painful joint. You can apply it before going to bed for best results.
- Flax Seeds : Due to its omega 3 fatty acids, flax seeds are helpful in relieving symptoms of arthritis pain. Flax seeds also lubricate joints which help in arthritis pain. Take one tablespoon of flax seeds three times a day. You can mix flax seeds along with cereal, bread and grind it well and mix mixture along with milk and drink it.
Osteoarthritis is common problem in adult age group. So you can follow those home remedies to get relief from joint pain.